What if discipline and spanking aren’t synonyms?
What if there was a much more effective way of disciplining your kids where you connect with their heart and it actually BUILDS your relationship?
Let’s continue our awesome talk with Wendy Snyder from Fresh Start Families today!
Or, as always, you can watch on YouTube:
Timeline of the Podcast
1:10 Wendy joins the podcast!
2:50 Explaining Gentle Parenting
7:00 Gentle Parenting in action
14:30 Sheila’s experience with a tough child
20:45 Emotions are not the problem
24:00 Example for tween parenting
34:15 Strong willed children
44:30 Wendy walks through parenting advice for Rebecca
55:00 Special update + closing announcements
Main Segment: Gentle Parenting Doesn’t Mean You Can’t Say No!
In fact, as Wendy says, she likely says “no” more often! But the point is that you’re connecting with your child emotionally, building a secure attachment, and parenting out of that relationship.
Just like God works with us! It’s such a better way to parent than spanking, and there’s so much research that this actually works. Christians need to get behind this, because to me, this looks like the very heart of Jesus far more than spanking your kids to force them to do what you want them to do.
This was a REALLY fun conversation, and at the end, Rebecca asked for advice for an issue she’s having with Alex not taking off his shoes when he comes in from playing in the backyard. Wendy gave her some tips, and then Rebecca shows us an update!
Wendy Snyder is a Positive Parenting Teacher & Family Coach, helping families parent with great purpose and intention by creating healthy, respectful & cooperative relationships. She is a Certified Parent Educator of Redirecting Children’s Behavior (RCB) and an advocate for families.
You’re telling me WHAT goes WHERE?!
Talking about sex with your kids doesn’t always go smoothly.
That’s why we created The Whole Story, our online course that walks parents through the tough conversations and does the hard parts for you!
Things Mentioned in This Podcast:
- Wendy Snyder’s Fresh Start Families site plus follow Wendy on Instagram!
- Fresh Start Family Podcast episode 122 and episode 123
- Sign up for Wendy’s FREE discipline class! And here’s her course for parents of strongwilled kids, and here’s her logical discipline planning guide
- The books Wendy recommended: Jesus the Gentle Parent and Heartfelt Discipline
- The book I recommended: Angry Me by Sandra Feder
- The Mask You Live in Documentary
- Rebecca’s book Why I Didn’t Rebel
- Suport our podcast! Join our Patreon and get access to an awesome Facebook group, merch, and more! And support us by buying Knix bras in Canada or in the U.S.
Do you think gentle parenting can catch on in church? How can we keep this conversation going? Let’s talk in the comments!
The Attachment Series
- The 4 Attachment Styles and what that means in parenting and marriage
- Do We Have to Tell Kids They're Dirty Rotten Sinners?
- Your Kids' Attachment Issues Doesn't Mean It's Your Fault
- Our 5 Love Styles and How This Affects Marriage
- How to Start Identifying Your Own Emotions and Learn to Express them (coming soon)
- How to Help Kids Identify their Emotions and Express Them (coming soon)
- PODCAST: Attached to God--how does our attachment style to God affect our relationship with Him?
- PODCAST: What is connected parenting (last segment of podcast) plus how research around spanking is misused!
- PODCAST: How can we raise securely attached kids?
- PODCAST: Our Love Styles with Mila and Kay Yerkovich (coming soon)
Sheila Wray Gregoire
Founder of To Love, Honor and Vacuum
I'm so excited to be switching gears for a month to talk about attachment! I've been reading some...
Do Christians have better marriages and sex lives? Last month Josh Howerton, lead pastor at...
We misunderstand women in the Bible--and we misunderstand gender aspects of research! So let's...
One of the things I enjoy most about working online is meeting really cool people. And one of...
It's time to talk to the guys today--and look at what masculinity really is! On the last Thursday...
So apparently preteen girls' cramps and pads are sexual, according to Focus on the Family. We have...
Our passion is to get evidence-based advice about marriage, sex and parenting into the hands of...
This month we're going to talk about attachment styles and why they matter! Attachment styles are...