The Bare Marriage Podcast is back for Season 4! And we thought we’d start with a little victory dance.
I didn’t actually know this was season 4, but Katie (my daughter who does all the editing for the podcasts) informed me that we were now starting season 4. So yay!
After taking a month off, Rebecca and I are back to give a big picture look at what we see happening in the evangelical world as we talk about sex and marriage. And there’s a lot to be encouraged about. (Plus some things you just have to laugh at!)
Or, as always, you can watch on YouTube:
Main Segment: Let’s Do a Victory Dance!
Rebecca and I quickly run through some of the cool things that have happened over the last few weeks since we stopped recording podcasts.
- Matthew West was made to take down his Modest is Hottest video (I was quoted in a Religious News Service article about that).
- A number of people sent in personal stories about standing up to summer camps with shaming dress codes for girls, or speaking up to their churches about Love & Respect
- The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill podcast covered toxic teaching in the church about sex
Want to bring up your concerns to your church?
Access a quick synopsis of the findings from The Great Sex Rescue survey, with some quick stats–along with our rubric of healthy sexuality teaching and our scorecard.
Then use it to bring your concerns to church leadership!
Question: Why do many men assume women are hitting on them when women smile?
A funny sidenote came out of that Mars Hill podcast: they shared a quick anecdote where James Dobson said that he was at a stoplight when a woman smiled at him. He knew she was propositioning him for sex. She then turned down a side street, and he knew he was supposed to follow–but he didn’t take the bait.
Twitter erupted wanting to dissect this. So we invited Laura Robinson, a Duke University PhD candidate in New Testament, to come on the podcast with us. She wrote a few incredible threads about how this would actually play out in real life if it happened (Imagine him pulling up in her driveway after following her and then saying, “do we do sex now?” I think police would soon be involved).
We try to get to the bigger issues of why it is that it’s assumed that women are hitting on men all the time. (not saying it doesn’t happen–but it is often assumed when it’s not).
The story in Mars Hill 5 of James Dobson thwarting a potential seductress who stopped at a stoplight next to him, smiled, and turned down a side street ("I didn't take the bait") is as hilariously a glimpse into the nonreflective dudemind as it is disturbing.— Laura Robinson (@LauraRbnsn) July 28, 2021
Big Picture Question: Are We Going Through a Fourth (or Second, or Sixth) Reformation?
Of course it depends how you measure these things, but it seems as if every 400-500 years something big happens to disrupt the church as a whole, and changes the direction. The last huge change was the Protestant Reformation. Could we be going through another such change again?
Rebecca and I read a few comments from the blog that show the chaos that we’re experiencing as a wider faith community. Some people are “deconstructing” and leaving evangelicalism for mainline churches. Some are deconstructing and staying in evangelical churches. Some are deconstructing and leaving Jesus altogether.
We know that many of you are deconstructing; we want to show that you can do this and still hold on to Jesus, and I do think that’s part of what this podcast is for. With millennials and Generation Z leaving the church in droves, we want to show that there is another way.
And so we ask some big picture questions about church and faith right now, and I hope you enjoy the discussion!
Things Mentioned in This Podcast:
- Our Patreon–support us for as little as $3 a month! We also have unfiltered podcasts and more available for our supporters. The money doesn’t go to this blog or podcast, but to cover the cost of our research.
- The Great Sex Rescue–and the package you can download to show to your church
- Our definitive podcast on lust & modesty (because I didn’t want to rehash everything when we talked about Modest is Hottest)
- The Mars Hill podcast episode–The Things We Do to Women
- Laura Robinson’s Twitter Thread
- The Jezebel Article about The Great Sex Rescue
- Our article on Elisabeth Elliot and unhealthy dating relationships and the problem with Friendationships when you can’t define the relationship
- Can Christians use sex toys?
- Our Churchianity vs. Christianity podcast
- Aimee Byrd’s book on Christian platonic friendships: Why Can’t We Be Friends?
Win a copy of The Orgasm Course!
We’re giving away ONE copy of the Orgasm Course to someone who signs up to our email list this week–and ONE to someone who is already signed up.
Sheila Wray Gregoire
Founder of To Love, Honor and Vacuum
In marriage, we're not supposed to be unequally yoked. We tend to think of that as meaning that we...
Are we making marriage too hard? It's September, and that means a new series on the blog (and on...
It's time for our Start Your Engines podcast, and today we're asking if Christian resources are...
We're doing something different on our podcast this week. We're giving you a sneak peek at our...
So what's up with direct communication? Why is it so hard? And how can we do it better? This week...
It's time for our next Start Your Engines podcast--the one where we talk more specifically to the...
PODCAST: Are There “Pink Brains” and “Blue Brains”? A Review of the Neuroscience Christian Authors Like to Cite
Ever heard Christian resources tell you that the male sex drive is something that women can't...
We had FUN doing this podcast! And it's a hands-on podcast, too. We're going to walk you through...