Can we listen to women’s voices along with men’s voices?
We’ve got a whole variety of segments and interviews in today’s EPISODE 99 of the Bare Marriage podcast, including asking “What would have happened if authors had listened to women?”, a look at Genesis 3:16, and sharing a young husband’s story.
I invite you to listen in!
Or, as always, you can watch on YouTube:
Timeline of the Podcast
1:30 What would have happened if authors listened originally?
8:20 Our Timeline critiquing books (psst, we didn’t start it!)
19:00 How Narnia can show us a way forward
21:15 Interview with Timothy Thomas on submission and breaking out of unhealthy evangelical teachings
36:30 Interview with Bruce Fleming on what Genesis 3:16 ACTUALLY says
1:00:50 Our 100th Episode is next week – we need your help!
1:02:15 Encouragement of the week
Send Us In a Testimonial for Episode 100!
Next week is episode 100 of the Bare Marriage podcast!
We’re looking for people to send in a quick audio or video (your choice), roughly 60 seconds (less is fine!), telling us your story.
Start with your first name and city–“Hi, I’m Sandy from Lincoln, Nebraska” (or leave out your town if you’d rather!
Then tell us either:
- Your favourite episode and why
- Something you’ve learned from the podcast & how it’s changed you
- Or just general encouragement
Then just email it to us!
Main Segment: What Would Have Happened If?
Joanna joined us for the podcast today, and we asked the question, what would have happened if…
- The authors that we identified as having written harmful books had listened to the women who told them, before their books were even published, that their ideas were harmful. We read out passages from Emerson Eggerichs, Shaunti Feldhahn, and Steve Arterburn who all said that they were warned before their books were even written
- Focus on the Family had listened when we first emailed them (and even when we sent the Open Letter)
- Shaunti Feldhahn had listened when we wrote to her in August, rather than doubling down after our book was published
- Mark Gungor had listened to my critique on his Facebook Page and just edited his post, in the same way that Henry Cloud did when he misspoke
It’s been two months now since The Great Sex Rescue was published, and while the sales have been doing very well, and while counselors and regular people have just loved it, the evangelical establishment has yet to speak out about it and confront our findings. We just did the largest study that’s ever been done–and people are choosing to ignore it. That just makes us sad.
Timothy Thomas: How I listened to my wife–and created a healthier marriage
Timothy Thomas (@Timothyt_t) is a full-time public school teacher and coach, and a part-time blogger and writer. He is a staff writer for ChristandPopCulture.com. He lives in Fort Worth, Texas.
In September, he wrote an insightful two-part series on his marriage and church journey, and I wanted to invite him in to talk to us about it.
Was Eve Cursed in Genesis 3:16?
Bruce Fleming from Tru316 is on a mission to help us see problematic passages through new eyes by looking at the original language. Today he talks about his interpretation of Genesis 3:16, teaching me some things I’ve never known!
His Eden Podcast covers a number of different Genesis verses, and his Book of Eden goes more in depth into what he told us in this podcast!
Things Mentioned in This Podcast:
- Timothy Thomas’ articles, Part 1 and Part 2
- Bruce C.E. Fleming’s Eden podcast and Book of Eden book. The podcast walks through many of the Genesis verses regarding gender and shows us a beautiful picture of wholeness and freedom
- Shannon Ashley’s article about our interaction with Mark Gungor
- The Great Sex Rescue!
- Support our Bare Marriage Patreon for as little as $5 a month, and get access to unfiltered podcasts, special merch, and more!
- Send in your audio or video file here!
Sheila Wray Gregoire
Founder of To Love, Honor and Vacuum
So what's up with direct communication? Why is it so hard? And how can we do it better? This week...
The Bare Marriage Podcast is back for Season 4! And we thought we'd start with a little victory...
Can we please stop pretending that Love & Respect empowers women? I get the best stuff from...
Women who try to challenge the status quo and fight against abuse are often labelled "jezebels"....
Episode 5 of the Mars Hill Podcast is delving into how Mark Driscoll taught about sex. Wow. For...
We've all heard the trope that men need respect while women need love. It's in the best-selling...