Ever struggle with planning what to do that’s fun at a bridal shower?
It’s Wednesday, the day when we talk marriage! I introduce a topic and then you all can comment or link up your own post below.
Since my daughter just got married, I thought I’d share over the next little while a few of the things that worked really well when we were planning things. And today I thought I’d focus on bridal shower games.
Thinking up games for showers is daunting, isn’t it? There are all variations of Bingo games, or trivia games, or things where the bride has to do something embarrassing.
I decided to do something different. I tracked down 21 romantic quotations from movies, and then I had people try to guess the movies. It was actually quite fun, and took a lot longer than I had thought, which was great–because it killed a lot of time and prevented me from needing to think up other games! And it led to a lot of chatting about romance and movies and what’s fake and what’s not.
Here’s how it worked: I gave people a list of quotations, and gave them about 10 minutes to write down beside each quotation what movie they thought the quotation was from. Then I handed them the list of movies that were included in the quotes to make it easier, and they tried to match the quotes to the movies after that. They received more points for the ones they guessed before they saw the list of movies than after.
Download the Printable Match the Movie Bridal Shower Game here:
But here are the list of quotations, should any of you be curious! Check to see how many you can guess (before downloading the game to see if you’re right!)
- I want to tell you, again, I love you. Our love has been the thread through the labyrinth, the net under the high-wire walker, the only real thing in this strange life of mine that I could ever trust. Tonight I feel that my love for you has more density in this world than I do, myself: as though it could linger on after me and surround you, keep you, hold you.
- I’m scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I’m with you.
- So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s gonna be really hard. We’re gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day.
- Maybe it is our imperfections which make us so perfect for one another.
- I may not be a smart man, but I know what love is.
- I love you. You… you complete me.
- Say you’ll share with me one love, one lifetime. Lead me, save me from my solitude. Say you want me with you, here beside you. Anywhere you go, let me go, too. Love me, that’s all I ask of you.
- I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle in your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts. I love that after I spend day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it’s not because I’m lonely, and it’s not because it’s New Year’s Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
- I’d do it again, you know. All of it. I’d choose you, every time.
- Look, I guarantee there’ll be tough times. I guarantee that at some time, one or both of us is gonna want to get out of this thing. But I also guarantee that if I don’t ask you to be mine, I’ll regret it for the rest of my life, because I know, in my heart, you’re the only one for me.
- Don’t say we aren’t right for each other, the way I see it is… We aren’t right for anyone else.
- I love you even when you’re sick and look disgusting.
- We need a witness to our lives. There’s a billion people on the planet….. I mean, what does any one life mean? But in a marriage, you’re promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things….. all of it, all the time, every day. You’re saying ‘Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go unwitnessed because I will be your witness.
- Listen to me, mister. You’re my knight in shining armor. Don’t forget it.
- What I really want to do with my life — what I want to do for a living — is I want to be with your daughter. I’m good at it.
- I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.
- Don’t forget I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.
- No, I don’t think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That’s what’s wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.
- As you wish.
- It was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together … and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home. .. only to no home I’d ever known … I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like … magic.
- If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love … I love … I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.
We talked about (spoiler alert) how the Jerry Maguire quotation is actually not valid–“you complete me.” We may be better together, but a man can’t complete you. Only God can. This idea that’s so prevalent in so many movies that there is a soulmate there who will complete us is actually quite dangerous in marriage. (it’s a big theme of my upcoming 9 Thoughts That Can Change Your Marriage, which is out August 18!)
And I shared how I loved the quotation from (another spoiler alert!) Shall We Dance:
So it led to some great discussions about what real romance is, how it’s often misportrayed in movies, and how to keep romance alive in marriage!
Feel free to download the printable bridal shower game here and play it at the next wedding shower you have to organize.
Incidentally, if you’re a fan of romantic movies, I’ve got a list of the 50 most romantic movies as chosen by my Facebook fans!
Now let me know: how many quotes did you know off the bat, without having to look up the answers? Or have you ever played a fun bridal shower game? Leave your idea in the comments!